Sunday, October 25, 2009

"It feels sometimes like the entire world has cancer"

The NY Times today has a terrific profile of M.D. Anderson, the cancer hospital in Houston, TX. This is where my aunt Sylvia was treated for years--they helped her to become one of the longest-surviving multiple myeloma patients they'd seen--until she was too sick to make the drive from San Antonio on a regular basis. This article is also incredibly sad, and it's a bit scary for me to read about the nurse who beat breast cancer only to see it recur as metastatic disease 9 years later. Next year will be 4 years for me, and I take none of them for granted.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You, in every form, way, and shape--including your blog--are a gift! TYTB for continuing to give and give and give!

Unknown said...

Stay positive and trust. All your life you've done what's needed to be done and I believe with every cell in my body and every molecule of love that I have that you are, in every way, a survivor! ILY Papa

winecat said...

I'm in year 3 and I agree I never take for granted that it's not supposed to come back.

Anonymous said...

such an honest, frank entry. the title of this post is very appropriate--sometimes it does seem like the entire world has cancer. looking forward to reading future entries!

Anonymous said...

Great post! Sometimes it does feel as if the entire world has cancer. We hope to do something about that!